Saturday, September 13, 2014

Blog Post #4 Asking Questions: What questions do we ask? How do we ask?

    Coming up in school, I was the one that the students use to get tired of me asking questions. It was a must that I ask questions and be able to understand what was taught in the classroom. Also, there were times where I just did not bother to ask questions and try to figure it out on my own, which eventually lead me to asking more questions.
    Watching the video "Asking better questions in the classroom" by Joanne Chesley, often teachers find that that the students are unresponsive in the classroom. We expect student's to say more then yes, no, uh huh, or I think so. A close ended question, is when an instructor ask a question and the student may respond with either a yes or no, with out any type of explanation. As a teacher we expect more from a student then just one response, instead we get exactly what we ask for when we ask a close end question. If we ask a open ended question, it leads the responded to do more thinking, come up with a variety of responses and also to do more thinking.
    The solution to come up with to get more students involved in discussion question is to change a solid question into a open ended one, so the students will do higher level of thinking and lot more brainstorming. "Three ways to ask better questions in the back ground" by Maryellen Weiner
1. Prepare the question, by asking mixed bags of questions, and if I was to look to see if the students was confused I would make sure I rephrase the question again.
2.Play with the question, sometime it is good to leave the question unanswered to give room to the students to use more strategies to think about the question a little more.
3.Preserve good questions, I will make sure I keep good question from students by jotting a few notes about the answered students offered.
    The questions that we ask our students determine how we will get an accurate response back from the students. We should make sure we ask a question accurately to get an accurate answer with greater detail and critical thinking from the students.
Asking Questions

2 comments:

  1. In elementary school I was the same way, I asked questions about everything. It makes me realize just how important it is for the student to ask questions. It really does affect the way they learn. I agree completely on what you said about how we, as the teacher, need to ask the questions. It is up to us to ask the right questions to get an accurate response.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great organization of your thoughts. Be sure to include link to each of the videos you are referring to. Also, the source of the photo you choose to use should be in whats called a alt/title modifier. The directions on how to add alt/title modifiers is on page 6 of the Blog Post Instructions document.

    ReplyDelete